Powered by Blogger.

The Beauty of Audiobooks


Audiobooks take the magic of reading a good old fashion paper book and feed that straight into your ears to be lost in that world.

In case you've been living under a rock and have never seen an Audible advert on YouTube, an audiobook is a dramatised reading of a book, performed by an actor or even several actors. It transcends the story off the paper and into your ears.

I love reading and getting lost in a story but I've always found it difficult to make time for reading. I'm the sort of person who gets easily distracted so if I'm reading I can't be doing anything else. Which makes it hard to prioritise when I have a million and one things to do.

Not only this but I'm a person who, although loves reading, finds the task of reading a book quite painful and I mean that in the literal sense. Reading causes me headaches and really strains my eyes.

For a while, I just stopped reading because I didn't think it was worth the hassle. But this just meant I missed out on great stories and couldn't interact with the amazing community of book bloggers that I love. And thus I moved to audio books.

While I still do try to read physical books hides a mountain of unread books, audio is my main way of consuming books now. 

Audiobooks are essentially an alternative version of a podcast. Just something to throw on in the background when you're going somewhere and observe the action. You can just sit back and let the story build around you. You don't have to stop everything for an audiobook, it is merely accompanying what you're already doing making it a great travel companion. 

Actually hearing the characters' voices and how they pronounce and enunciate things really help build this world in my head. Especially hearing the emotion in the character's voice can really add to the story. Sometimes the writer's intention or the emotion of a sentence can be lost on paper but when you're listening to the story, you really understand it. 

The great thing about audiobooks is that you don't have to buy them. Most libraries now let you rent audiobooks from them and you don't even have to leave your house. It's great. SO support your local library, yall.

Audiobooks have really changed and improved my reading experiences. Not only have they aided my consumption of stories but they've allowed me to discover stories I wouldn't have even thought about reading before. 

No comments