Powered by Blogger.

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher | Review

I tell my younger friends that no matter how I go, I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra.”


Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher is absolute gold. I'm absolutely in awe of Carrie. Her pure talent radiates from this book, her writing is truly something special. The book perfectly captures her essence and her ability to joke about even the hardest of things. The contents are so real and any other person could have and probably would have turned this into a story of tragedy but not Carrie. She added her wit and humour to the situation and comes out better for it. 


One of the hardest things is talking about yourself. Especially when you’re sharing your very intimate moments with the whole world but Carrie sees this task and smashes it into 100 pieces. She does not hold back. 


Although she’s the daughter of Hollywood’s sweethearts, she’s had her fair share of unfortunate events. She goes through it all: from drug addiction to mental health to how she ended up being sectioned and, of course, how she ‘turned’ her husband gay through the excessive use of codeine. (Seriously, you need to read this)


If you've never heard of Carrie Fisher before, you’d probably think this book was a load of nonsense. I guess it’s a good job everyone and their dog have heard of the damsel who wasn’t in distress from the small unknown Star Wars franchise.


But you don’t need to be a Star War geek to appreciate this piece of writing. It’s about her personal experiences rather than her stardom. Even if we can’t imagine what it’s like to live under the spotlight, we can all relate to the struggles and stories of her mental health.


Wishful Drinking is a short but life-changing read. It just reaffirms that Carrie Fisher truly is a genius and has left an unfillable hole in this world.

For updates, follow me on Twitter @enchantedlilme or find me on Instagram @jonnarogers

No comments