Powered by Blogger.

My Name

I think it's about time I sit down with a cup of tea and tell you how the very British girl got her very usual and foreign name.

If you didn't know, my name is Jonna and is pronounced as Yon-nah. My name is Finnish (can also be Danish or Swedish), explaining why the j is pronounced as a Y, and for some reason, my parents didn't want to translate my name into English, the language that we and our country speak.



The reason behind my name

This is a story told to me by my dear mother. My mum's name is Julie, a very common name. Growing up my mum had at least four Julies in her class and everywhere she went she would meet a Julie. So my mother wanted her child to have a very usual and very uncommon name so they wouldn't have to go through what she went through. My mum found the name through a woman she had met and befriended while travelling, her name was Jonna and she was a fair-haired, nice girl from Finland. My parents always liked the name and decided that is what they would call me. I'm sorry there's not a more exciting reason behind my name, I'm just a plain old common white girl trash from a very northern, very British family.

Although I do moan about my name quite a lot and make jokes and although it does make this awkward person even more awkward, do quite like my name. I've never wanted to change it, not even the spelling. I don't know if it's my name or the type of person I am, not many people tend to forget my name. Many people will spell it wrong and may pronounce it wrong at the start, but they never forget it and I like that. 





Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed a look behind my name.
Jonna x

  

No comments