Powered by Blogger.

June Favourites 2017



June has gone and July is here, meaning my summer has officially started! 





My first favorite for June is City of Ashes, the second instalment in the Mortal Instruments Series. As I've mention in past posts, I am slowly working my way through all the Shadowhunter books after falling in love with the TV show.
I loved this book even more than the first one. This book seemed to flow better as now you've gotten to know all the characters and you can guess their next moves. To me this, book was quite funny so much so that I had to try my hardest to hold in laughter on the train. Although, I'm not sure if I'm laughing because it's meant to be funny or because I know what's going to happen in the future (because of the show).
Again, the scene stealer of this book was the wonderful Magnus Bane. Everything this boy says is sarcasm or a quip, even his movements amuse me. I can never get enough Magnus. My only complaint, as with the last book, is that we don't see Magnus and Alec's relationship develop, we are just told about it when there is a gap in the story. Please change it up from from all this Clary and Jace drama, give me a bit of Magnus and Alec!!
This book did feature one of my most favourite scenes in anything I have ever read, and that is the Seelie court scene. If you haven't read this book, to summarize without spoiling too much: a character is forced to kiss the person she most desires to set herself free. This scene is a mix of cringe, hilarious, emotional and heartbreaking. I was ever so lucky to see this scene featured in the TV show about two weeks after I finished the book! This was my first experience of seeing a scene I have read being directly plucked out of the book and put in the show, so it was quite exciting knowing what was going to happen.

Sticking to the theme of Shadowhunters, this month I've been listening to the soundtrack. Most of the music on the show is done by the singer Ruelle and she is amazing. Not only is her music great for the show but they stand alone fantastically too. My favourite song by her so far is Monsters.




Another book I read this month was unboxed by Non Pratt. Unboxed is a short book but certainly worth the read. It is about a group of ex-friends, who used to be close when they were younger, coming together, after one of them passed away, to open their old time capsule.
This book hit home and made me feel a bit nostalgic. This book just made me think about how such an important person in your life can be there one second and gone the next. It's safe to say this book is an emotional one.
I actually purchased this book after meeting Non at a book signing in Waterstones. We had a nice little chat about books, Once Upon a Time, John Green, Disney and Donald Trump. Knowing that the author of the book you're reading is a lovely person makes the book even better!




My favourite film of June has to go to Wonder Woman. It is the female lead superhero film that I have been waiting for for so long. It. Is. Beautiful. This film does not sexualise or belittle Diana but instead shows her as the warrior she is. I look forward to seeing more of Wonder Woman in the future and hope that Hollywood is listening and learning.
Click here to see my full review of Wonder Woman.

And last but not least, the Collection Velvet Kiss Lip Cream Caramel. This costs only £2.99 from Superdrug! It may be cheap but last surprisingly well. My choice of colour isn't too bold, which works well with this lipstick as I think a bright colour would noticeably fade. 

What things did you guys enjoy in June? Let me know in the comments!

No comments