Powered by Blogger.

One year ago, my dad died.


One Year. 

One year can be both the longest time and the shortest. 

It's long enough for my day to day life without you begin to feel normal and for the empty spot on the sofa to feel not so empty.

But at the same time, it's a short enough time for me to still forget for a few blissful moments that you're gone. And it isn't long enough for me to stop craving to talk to you when I need you. 

They say time is the most important ingredients of grief. Give yourself time after the fact, time to heal, time to feel, time. What if the only thing it can do for me is to make missing you feel so normal I don't notice as much?

Grief isn't something that truly goes away with time, we just get better at handling it. We have to. 

For month one and two, people care and offer their condolences but any longer than that and your sadness starts to become a burden. 

They stop checking in, they stop saying hi, they stop caring, they stop talking. After all, if they've been able to get back normal why haven't you. 

One Year. 

In some ways it's so much easier and in others it's just harder. The only difference is now, we're carrying it alone. 

No comments