Powered by Blogger.

Roller Coaster Tycoon Adventures | Game Review


I have a love for simulation games and if I was a therapist I could take a second to ask why I’m so obsessed with simulations and come to some conclusion about control issues or a God complex but thank god I’m a journalist and this is just a game review. My first dive into the world of gaming was the 2002 game, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 which, almost 2 decades later, still holds up. It still remains one of the most beloved games that still helps me waste whole weekends away.


So when I saw that Roller Coaster Tycoon Adventures (The Switch Game from the same franchise) was half price on the Nintendo Store, I couldn’t resist. 


While there has been some controversy surrounding this game franchise in the years since Roller Coast Tycoon 2 was released for lack of gameplay, money-grabbing mobile games, and forgetting fan-favourite features, this instalment for the Nintendo Switch has seemed to overcome most this. 


It feels familiar enough for life long fans to enjoy it but also fresh enough so new players can jump in. 
In most instances, when jumping from PC to console, there's going to be some pretty significant downgrades and game changes. This Switch game is no different. 
That being said, I think it does well with the limitations it faced. 


While I do miss the more interactive side of the game with guests and staff, I was charmed with the decorative elements. Which is essentially what this game mostly consists of, Theme Park Design Simulation. 


However, the game mode that really gives this game that extra bit of longevity is the Scenario Mode. It gives you some truly random scenarios to base your park around that really allow you to get to know the game and its controls. This game mode gets you to think outside the box so you aren't just creating the same parks again and again. 


But once you finish all the Scenarios, I don't think there's much drawing you back to this game. Sure you might jump on for a night once every few months out of boredom. But it lacks the one fundamental thing that that 2002 game had, ultimate creative control and freedom. 


If you're one of the many who just bought a Nintendo Switch for Animal Crossing: New Horizons and you're now feeling burnt out with the game, try something new. Don't let your Switch collect dust. The next time you see Roller Coaster Tycoon Adventures with a cheeky discount next to it, give it a go. It's entertaining and if you're an Animal Crossing player, chances are you'll enjoy it. 


For updates, follow me on Twitter @enchantedlilme or find me on Instagram @jonnarogers

No comments